I have been searching for a pancake receipe that is healthy and taste as good as it looks, this one will do it for you. The pancakes are fluffy and taste great.
Recipe from: America’s Test Kitchen magazine
- 2 cups (11 onces) whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking power
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 5 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees. Spray wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet with vegetable oil spray and place in oven. This will keep your pancakes warm till you’re ready to serve.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in medium bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk, 5 tablespoons oil, and eggs together in second medium bowl.
- Make well in center of flour mixture and pour in buttermilk mixture; wisk until smooth (Mixture will be thick; do not add more buttermilk) trust me you’ll be tempted but follow instructions.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. using paper towels, carefully wipe out oil, leaving thin film on bottom and sides of pan.
- Using 1/4 cup dry measurements cup or 2 ounce ladle, portion batter into pan in 3 places. Gently spread each portion into 4 1/2 inch round.Cook until edges are set, first side is golden brown, and bubbles on surface are just beginning to break, 2-3 minutes. Using thin, wide spatula, flip pancakes and continue to cook until second side is golden brown, 1-2 minutes longer.
- Serve pancakes immediately or transfer to prepare rack in oven. Repeat with remains batter, using remains 1 teaspoon oil as necessary.
Note: I love to find healthy recipes for my son, serve it with fresh fruits dust some confectioners sugar and voila! I buy all my ingredients from whole foods supermarket and at times prepare the dry and wet ingredients in a mason jars the night before just ready to mix in the morning for the busy moms.